Breaking News
Loading...
Monday 30 January 2012

The ethics of writing about children with mental illness

16:00
I was recently asked about the ethics of writing about children and adolescents with mental illness. I've edited the actual question to preserve privacy:
I've been asked to consider writing a book about a parent and a mentally ill child. I'm convinced that the story needs to be told; but I'm not sure how to do it ethically. We don't want to re-traumatize the child, who is unable to give informed consent to interviews or to decide about making the story public, and probably won't be able to give informed consent even after reaching the age of majority.
We want to be responsible -- to respect the child's privacy and to do no harm. But we want to validate the experiences of other parents who are living through this with their children; to improve public understanding of the condition; and to advocate for the kids and families who are struggling. They're suffering in silence right now.
Because of the nature of the disorder and the behaviors that children with the condition display, the "commercial" literature that's available pushes the boundaries of good journalism. So much is changed to protect the children's privacy that it damages the credibility of the writing. But it's impossible to guarantee privacy if we write honestly. If we describe even one event exactly as it happened, SOMEBODY is going to recognize the child.
What an important question this is! It poses a fundamental "good vs good" conflict: the value that the story might have for other parents and folks who make policy relevant to the child's condition vs the child's right to privacy and protection as a minor.

Apart from how individuals will weigh these values, cultures themselves vary. Many years ago I joined a psychiatrist in India at a session in a clinic serving the poor. I knew him to be a kind and considerate man of great personal and professional integrity. He asked patients who spoke English to "talk with the doctor who is visiting with me from the United States." After an extended discussion with a couple I asked my host if it would be acceptable for me to ask for their permission to take a photograph of them. To my astonishment, my host responded - "just go ahead - you don't need to ask permission." (I wasn't comfortable doing this and put aside the photograph idea.) Subsequently I experienced the same cultural perspective in settings where I was the only Caucasian - people sometimes took photographs of me as an interesting phenomenon.

My reaction to the question is unambiguous. For me, the child's interests come first. I advised writing a well-disguised version of the story that met my rule of thumb - the child's neighbors, teachers, and friends shouldn't recognize who the story is about, and the child, now or at an older age should feel respected by the way she or he is written about. That level of disguise may diminish the value of the story for other parents or policy makers, but in my view that's the correct trade off among values.


On World AIDS Day in 2005 I was in Madurai, India. A man disguised as a giant condom was circulating in the crowd. When I pointed my camera at him he indicated that I should stand next to him and be part of the photo. Perhaps he felt that I should collaborate with him and not objectify him. FYI, here's the photo:
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Toggle Footer