Breaking News
Loading...
Friday 1 February 2013

Wild Rose Screening Event

10:03
To close 2012 with a bang, Women's Health Outreach had a wildly successful mobile screening event at the Wild Rose on December 8th. Sixteen women received free mammograms and Pap tests, twelve of whom were uninsured.

The Swedish mobile van
 
 
 

One of our wonderful mammogram recipients
 
 
 

Our fabulous volunteers


Here's what some of the attendees said about why they came to the screening:

“I think this is a great idea...I love this program.”

“I only have a catastrophic insurance plan. My friend and I were both nervous about getting mammograms. But this is at the Wild Rose, and feels really queer-friendly.”

“I don’t have medical insurance. The quotes I get are $800 a month. This is a wonderful program.”
 
“Health services should be available to everyone, regardless of finances.”

“I’m 40. Mammograms are expensive. But I have a family history of breast cancer, and I thought, ‘I should do this.’”
 
There are many great reasons to get a mammogram, especially considering 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer over the course of her lifetime, and the numbers in LBTQ women are even higher.

The next Wild Rose screening will take place in November of 2013. Look for updates and information on how to sign up in the coming months!


Special thanks to Erika Langley for taking pictures and gathering quotes for us!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Toggle Footer